A is for Aden and Z is for Zanzabar


A is for Aden and Z is for Zanzibar... Now what is between? For the world wide classical era philatelist and stamp collector, a country specific philatelic survey is offered by the blog author, Jim Jackson, with two albums: Big Blue, aka Scott International Part 1 (checklists available), and Deep Blue, aka William Steiner's Stamp Album Web PDF pages. In addition, "Bud" offers commentary and a look at his completely filled Big Blue. Interested? So into the Blues...

Monday, June 13, 2022

Recent Acquisitions - United States

1859 Scott 35 10c green "Washington"
Type V on Domestic Cover 
Into the Deep Blue

Our local stamp club has a low key stamp auction every several months open to members. As the pandemic has waned, I recently found myself back with the club and reviewing the auction items.

As many readers are aware, my focus is WW for the 1840-1940 era. Although there were some lots available WW, the most interesting appeared to be a few U.S. lots. Admittedly, I have only a fairly good collection in classic U.S., as most of my stamp acquisition efforts are spread more broadly.

But, perhaps the reader would be interested in what I found. :-)

1859 Scott 35 10c green "Washington"
Type V on Domestic Cover 

Whenever we drive from Oregon to California on I-5, we often stop for lunch in the small northern town of Yreka, California. It was a gold rush town (discovery 1851) , and today is quite picturesque. It is far removed from the California population centers.


This charming cover from Chicago to Yreka has a 1859 Scott 35 10c green "Washington" stamp affixed  (CV $68 cover; $55 stamp). Obviously, there must be plenty of the 1859 perforated Type V 10c green stamps on cover, as there is not much increase in catalog value.

1859 Scott 35 10c green "Washington"
Type V on Domestic Cover 

I don't have many classic U.S. covers, but, with my local connection to the town, how could I resist? 

1869 Scott 112 1c buff "Franklin" and Scott 113 2c brown 
"Post  Horse and Rider" on Cover

Also, I found this 1869 two stamp issue on cover from New Market, New Jersey to Newark making up the 3c rate (CV $260 + $140 cover).


The stamps are nice, and show the somewhat off center look common for this issue.

1894 Scott 260 50c orange "Jefferson"
Bureau Issue; No Wmk

This stamp actually was acquired from a U.S. specialty dealer at our club's sponsored Stamp Show and Bourse recently. Although I had copies of the 1895 50c "Jefferson" (Scott 275 orange & 275a red orange), I did not have the unwatermarked 1894 version (CV $140).

1920 Scott C13 65c green Graf Zeppelin Issue
"Zeppelin over Atlantic Ocean"

I have always been out-bid on any Graf Zeppelin stamps prior at our local club stamp auction, but this time the opening bid was enough! (CV $175 unused). I've had the impression that the difference between a "good" and an "excellent" U.S. collection is the absence or presence respectively of Graf Zeppelin stamps. Well, I still have a ways to go!

1893 Scott 241 $1 salmon
"Isabella pledging her Jewels"
Columbian Exposition Issue

Finally, the Dollar values of the 1893 Columbians are nice to have, albeit a bit spendy (241 CV used: $525). There was a light cancelled $1 salmon specimen at the last club auction, and the auction price was right. !!

Out of the Blue

I hope the reader found this lightweight post refreshing, after the number of "deep in the weeds" stamp posts recently. ;-)

Comments appreciated!

10 comments:

  1. Nice additions to your collection, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice additions! How do you incorporate your covers into you BB collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack. I add a black hagner stock sheet before the U.S. Steiner page. Looks good!

      Delete
  3. Jim, thanks for the update and the nice scans, as always. Would love to see some of your recent worldwide acquisitions and another update on how close you're getting to completion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom fore the nice comment.
      /82,518/50,269//34,276/30,304
      http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/2015/01/StatusofMyBigBlueCollection.html
      The Status of my collection is listed in the above link, as is usually updated monthly. The figures listed show I have 50,000+ stamps for the classical era, and 89%+ completed for Big Blue. Actually, I am not actively trying to complete Big Blue anymore (Bud has already done so), but rather obtaining country collections of interest and adding stamps that way. Fun!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jim,

    I enjoy all your posts and look out for them, checking back regularly, but I think updates about your acquisitions and your collection's progress might be the ones I enjoy most!

    Keep up the good work, best wishes

    Crispin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, updates are my favorites also. Perhaps I should do more of them. :-)

      Delete
  5. Nice adds, and getting back to something like a local stamp auction is a great sign.

    ReplyDelete